Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rooted



Family Roots
Around Christmas, I decided to start researching my family history. My dad is gone, my grandfather is long gone, and I don't know much about his people. I’ve since learned that they landed in Oregon after a few generations of Westward migration from Tennessee. As it turns out both my great-great-great grandfather and great-great grandfathers were both preachers. How funny that the woman with such conflict about organized religion is descended from a family of conservative baptists.

As it turns out, the research is a lot of fun. Despite my ambivalence about certain more recent ancestors, I see how people become addicted. Tracing a family line is like eating Pringles, you can't stop at just one. Each new discovery makes me want to go a little deeper, a little further into where we all came from and what made me as I am.


Bloodroot
If it hadn't been for the Tennessee connection, I might never had found Amy Greene's Bloodroot. I started listening to it on a CD from the library to fill my long commute to and from work, but realize now that I need the book (to own!). I find myself wanting to spend time in the car at lunch, so I can have a little more time with the story each day. If that is not a good reason to buy a book (not that I've ever needed much of one), I don't know what is!

Greene's characters and even the places featured in the story are so alive.
I am only about half way through, but it has already become one of my favorite novels of recent years, which means that I think everyone should read it.

No comments: