Sunday, January 02, 2011

First Quarter

If there's one thing I love, it's a good personality test. So, back when Strengthsfinder was all the rage, I finagled my way into taking the test through my work. In the post-test interview, I was told by HR that I am a good person to have around at the beginning of a project. I think this may be Strengthsfinder's way of gently telling me that I start things with much gusto, then peter out and lose interest after a time.

And it's true! I am great at brainstorming, planning and starting projects, but not so good at finishing them if there is no pressure to do so. You need only to look at my writing notebook to confirm this. I have a whole mystery novel outlined. But how much have I actually written? Maybe five chapters and that has taken years. Then there's my progress on the longest interior redesign in history. I have been redecorating my bedroom for so long that the whole color scheme and style have changed multiple times without there ever being a moment when it was complete. I love the excitement of finding a new vision and planning it out. It's when it comes to execution that I fail. Too often, I find myself diverted by some shiny new idea and never finish.

Maybe that's why I love the start of a new year so much. It's like time's way of putting new sheets on the bed. Everything is so crisp and new and filled with spring-fresh possibility. At New Year's, I am not a slacker who doesn't finish what she starts, I am a visionary! People actually encourage reevaluation, resolve and new beginnings. This time of year is a planner's paradise.

At the same time, I don't really like the idea of New Year's resolutions. If I am ready to start eating healthy or looking for a new job today, why wait? Still, it's good to have goals. A year is a long time and some of my goals are big, so I've decided to break my year into manageable quarterly goals that advance me to my main goal, which is simply to be happy.

So, here are the three things I think will most contribute to my general sense of well being at this time:

  1. Lose 20 pounds by March 20.
  2. Finish the longest redecoration known to man.
  3. Create something every day (starting with a month of blogging in January).

No comments: