This year, I started the new year off with a trip. It's a work trip, but a trip nonetheless. Today, I escape the hotel to go to a super secret offsite meeting. I am not supposed to know where it is, but I do, and it's COOL! I can't post it here yet, just in case anyone I work with sees (doubtful, since none of them know about this blog, but it's not worth getting fired over, so I think I can keep my mouth shut a few more hours.) Knowing that it will be another late night with work to do when I return, I flagrantly pilfered the following meme from justabunchofsilliness.blogspot.com and filled it out before I left for my trip in case I didn't have time to write anything.
- What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I spent a month as a vegan. While I still eat the occasionally bit of animal (usually fish or poultry), I've not gone back to my old meat eating ways. I had feared that Houston would be all barbeque and beef products, but I've actually had a really easy time so far finding good veg options – an insanely HUGE pasta fresca (seriously, at my house one order would feed four people and that's saying a LOT, because we like our food!) and peach-blueberry crisp from Grand Lux Cafe last night and a roasted vegetable sandwich for lunch today.
- Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'd have to remember them to answer this, so there is a good chance the answer is no. I have set goals for the first quarter of the new year. Once that is over, I will set new ones.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, though I did know someone who was pregnant and had a miscarriage.
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
None. Except for work purposes, I barely left the county this year, let alone the country. This should probably be remedied!
- What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A real vacation.
- What dates from 2010 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
My birthday was a perfect mix of friends, travel, peacocks, and free ice cream. Plus, it was a warm, sunny day in March, which is a rarity in this part of the world.
The holidays this year were super fun. I loved introducing my nephew to Norad's Santa Tracker and Mungmas (aka Christmas, Part 2) was a blast. I now think it should always involve a Battle of Wits, Feat of Strength and Game of Chance as part of its traditional observance.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I made some major changes to the way I eat – less processed food, very few animal products.
- What was your biggest failure?
I should have said "Yes" more and had more fun.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious, thankfully, but I've been like a walking disaster lately. In the past few days, I've fallen and gotten a bloody nose and cut a slice into the tip of my thumb.
- What was the best thing you bought?
My Droid. I debated for a long time about spending the money, but I've gotten a lot of use and enjoyment out of it.
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
My adopted nephew and niece. One started Kindergarten and the other started college. Both are doing really well.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
It bummed me out that President Obama would speak out in support of Michael Vick, even if the call was never meant to be public. People who abuse animals disgust me. As far as I'm concerned, Vick's second chance is that he is not still in jail. It disappoints me that someone I supported would spend energy advocating for second chances for someone who would engage in the kind of abuses Vick did.
- Where did most of your money go?
Bills, groceries, household expenses, gas, presents for the boy. Okay, maybe clothes for me and some dinners out too.
- What did you get really excited about?
Starting to research my family history. Ancestry.com is nerdtastically addictive!
- What song will always remind you of 2010?
As much as I love music, it's sad to say, but there is none in particular.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier, my job hardly ever makes me cry anymore
Thinner or fatter? Probably about the same
Richer or poorer? Slightly richer, but not enough for it to make much difference.
- What do you wish you'd done more of?
Road trips, photography, writing, music, spending time with friends.
- What do you wish you'd done less of?
- How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve was spent at church and visiting friends, Christmas Day was at home with friends, and then we had a separate (and best) Christmas celebration with other friends.
- Did you fall in love in 2010?
No, I gave up thinking so much about it. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, that's okay too. It's not something you can force.
- What was your favorite TV program?
Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, Conan, The Daily Show
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn't have this time last year?
I might occasionally vent or joke, but I don't truly hate anyone. Hate is a waste of energy.
- What was the best book you read?
I can't think of a new one that particularly excited me. I did recently read and enjoy Wilkie Collins The Woman in White.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
More of a rediscovery – Jason Mraz.
- What did you want and get?
My mom is basically healthy after her pacemaker surgery.
- What did you want and not get?
To lose weight.
- What was your favorite film this year?
Not sure - I didn't see a lot of movies. Most of the ones I did see were with a kid, so the field is kind of limited. Maybe Burlesque. It was fun!
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent my plenty-ninth birthday having brunch with friends, then went on a mini-motor through Gorge and to Maryhill with other friends.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being home officed, spending more time on my personal life and less on my professional one.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I don't think I had much of one. I don't typically look like a bum, but it was not an exciting year for fashion. 2011 looks much more promising.
- What kept you sane?
Pets, family, a sense of humor and reminding myself that most of the things we worry about really just little blips in the grand scheme of things.
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp, George Clooney, basically the old standbys.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare, Don't Ask Don't Tell
- Who did you miss?
- Who was the best new person you met?
The new programmer at work. She rocked and made my job so much easier!
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
I REALLY need to get out more. If you spend too much time working, your answers to New Year's Surveys are going to be BOR-ing!
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece and I've sipped champagne on a yacht. I've moved like Harlowe in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got. [shimmy goes here, if you're dancing while you read]. I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see. I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me.
(Ok, not really, but it's a lame question and the lyrics are so ridiculous, it would have been wrong not to use them!)