Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red

Today I went to the hairdresser and we began phase one of my new hair plan. While my life itself seems to have become a haphazard mix of waiting, then flinging myself out to see where I land and I can't seem to stick to a budget to save my life, but my hair has a plan.

And the plan is to lighten.

For the past few years, my hair has been dark with the random bright streak - sometimes a bright red or fuchsia, sometimes an orange, but always on a dark purplish base. The plan now is for a lighter, brighter red all over with some blonde mixed in. First, though, we have to work on lightening it up a little, so today we began the reddening. By my birthday in spring, it will be ready for phase two (adding blonde streaks).

It's like a follicular metaphor for the the new outlook I need to cultivate. It's amazing what a lift a new hair can provide. It doesn't solve everything, but it's a quick, easy change that makes me feel a little less down, a little less bloated and a little more attractive. Sometimes it's the little things that make you happy. And that on its own makes them them worthwhile.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Your new hair plan sounds lovely! Your hair looks good now, but you can totally pull off the brighter/lighter red - it looks good on you!

and YES, it is amazing what a difference a cosmetic change can make - I think maybe it gives us permission to see ourselves a different way, and therefore makes it easier to make other changes or maybe just appreciate how groovy we are.

Martina said...

Thanks! I was looking at some "what was I thinking" orangey-red pictures the other day, but that's not what we are doing. Sometimes a little change is good.