Friday, January 14, 2011

The Kale Imperative

Earlier today one of my Facebook friends posted a status about how something about her cold was making her feel it was imperative that she make kale chips stat. My first thought after hearing "kale" was about the delicious kale and root vegetable salad I got out of Vegetarian Times a couple months ago. It has candied pecans and instructions about "massaging the kale", which make me feel vaguely dirty.

Naturally, my second thought was that if I ever write a series about a vegetarian sleuth or spy, the first installment would be called The Kale Imperative. I don't even have a cold, this is just my natural genius at work! Hey! Don't look at me like that! If Lilian Jackson Brown can spend 40+ years publishing "The Cat Who . . ." books, I can fill the shelves at Barnes & Noble with tales of vegetable murder and mayhem.

Speaking of vegetables, how awesome does this recipe for Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash look? I've been thinking I might like to try making a variation of it with some manner of soyified "beef". I'm also excited to try this Butternut Squash Lasagna. Both would go well with the aforementioned kale salad. Oh, kale, my friend, it always comes back to you, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Jen said...

You freaky kale massager!

(that salad was so good!)

Martina said...

Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday. I was busy massaging the kale. (See, doesn't it sound dirty?)

(That salad was good! I still owe you candied pecans.)