Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dancing with Myself

Ever since discovering Tito Puente back in grad school (Tito Puento and the Latin Jazz All-Stars at the Hollywood Bowl, still probably the most fun I have ever had at a concert!), I have had a thing for Latin music. A few years later, when I was living la vida boring on the prairie, music from the late 90's Latin explosion was one of the few things that cheered me up during a pretty miserable time in my life. I remember talking to a friend 2146.55 miles away over the phone while we watched Ricky Martin sing "La Copa de la Vida" on the Grammys and it was good.

There is something about the drums and rhythms that just makes me happy. It's hard to hear it and not want to move. That's probably why I was sucked in by the late night Zumba commercials on t.v. I have never been one of those people who just loves working out. Even during those times in my life where I have done it regularly, it has always been something to get out of the way rather than something to look forward to. Most of my dancing these day involves butt dancing in driver's seat of the car when a good song comes on. But, hey, it was worth a shot, so I ordered the DVDs.

I won't lie. The box sat unopened on a shelf for at least a month after it arrived. Then, today, I got the urge to get my groove on and opened it up. As it turns out, it is totally FUN! I am really out of shape, so I didn't made it through the whole thing, but I made it through enough to be sore afterwards. More importantly, I'm kinda looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

Until then, here is some primo butt dancing music from Ricky Martin.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Woo! The Zumba does sound fun. Bec bought a wii and we've been doing the daily fitness challenges. HILARIOUS. I'm 68 years old using one Mii (down from a high of 80!), and only 43 on the new character I started today.

I totally remember the Ricky Martin Grammy's - I was in the sunroom, so I was watching them through two sets of windows and could hear them on the phone with you! ha ha ha!

Martina said...

Ha! We have to be Mii friends and have fitness throw-downs! I'll even let you add The Bun-ion!

Hee. I totally remember that conversation. It was right around the time I decided i'd had enough of the prairie and started planning my escape. I can't believe it's been 10 years since I left.