Monday, January 03, 2011

On the Road Again

Dear Internets,

Do you ever have to go on work trips? I do, and that's why I am writing this post in the past to post in the future as though it were the present.

This time, the trip is to Houston for a national sales training. My flight leaves at 6 a.m., which means getting up at a time when even a rooster would tell you to fuck off and let him get some sleep, because I have to be ready for the coworker who is kindly giving me a ride to the airport, but wants to pick me up at 4 or 4:15 a.m. I don't even want to think about how early this means I'll have to get up! Surely it is cruel and unusual to force anyone to be up at that hour of the morning when it is not because they are just coming in from a night out!

As much as I love to travel, going on a work related trips always fills me with dread. Once at my final destination, things are usually fine and I even have fun. Before leaving, however, I always feel like I'd be willing to cut a deal with the Devil himself to avoid having to go. Nothing turns me into a homebody faster than forced travel.

To make matters worse, once I get to the hotel, my responsibilities are also going to be a bit out of my comfort zone. I am still not 100% clear on what it is that I will be doing beyond "meeting support", which as far as I can tell means assisting some executive with handouts, taking notes, making sure his mic works, projectors are working, etc. I don't know when it is I moved from administering compensation to being president of the AV Club, but I want to go back! I do not like this not knowing. I get anxious about screwing things up, even though none of it is rocket science. Even I don't know what I'm so worried about, but I am.

And don't even ask me how I'm going to provide meeting support all week AND get my normal job done, because no one else is going to be picking up the slack on that for me either. Guess who's going to be working some overtime the weekend she gets home? Just what everyone wants to do after a week away. I haven't even left yet and all I want to do when I return is spend the day watching movies in my pajamas while eating Chinese food right out of the carton.

Clearly, I need an attitude adjustment about this. Travelling is fun, right? Surely there are some reasons to look forward to this trip. Perhaps I can think of a few now:

  1. It is warm and not grey in Houston right now.
  2. Going through TSA security will probably be more action than I've seen in months!
  3. Going to a state where the airports have Fox News stores will make me appreciate my lovely, liberal Portland all the more.
  4. I will get to see lots of coworkers with whom I normally only get to communicate via phone and email. A few of these people are ones I've become friendly with but never actually met in person.
  5. My roommate for the trip is awesome and will tell me about her recent vacation to South Africa.
  6. The trip will take me out of my usual environment and allow me to kickstart some of the changes I want to make to my regular routine.
  7. Travelling always gives you stories to tell.
  8. I am not allowing this trip to interfere with my resolve to post something every day for a month.
  9. It will all be over and I will be home in my pajamas eating pot stickers with my dogs before I know it!

2 comments:

Jen said...

There's a four in the MORNING??? (I think that's a bart simpson quote, but I find the sentiment genuine.)

I hope you have a nice time in TX!

Martina said...

Ha! Is it really? Doesn't surprise me. It just popped into my head without knowing where I got it from.

So far, it's tiring, but not bad. It's nice to see people, but it's a lot of work. I am already looking forward to going home!