Saturday, January 13, 2007

Caberoklezmer - Part 2

And, now, so the world need not forever wonder about the rest of the contents of my Nano CD, we bring you the gripping conclusion of Eastern Caberoklezmer Music for Writing Inspired Nano Novels and Other Works of Unparallelled Artistic Merit and General Brilliance in quickly readable list format (to be further updated with comments at some later point).

10. Au port - Camille
I first became aware of Camille via a program on NPR, where artists are featured in their own words. When Camille was on, she was talking about her use of a bourdon to tie all of the songs on her CD together. I was intrigued, so I downloaded a few songs of hers from iTunes. As it turns out Au Port and Pourquoi l'amour me quitte (which turned out to be big favorite of mine during the summer of melancholy and still is, though I don't listen to it as much now that I'm pretending not to be melancholy) are my favorites. She an interesting artist who does some cool things with layers of sound. When I first heard that she liked to experiment with unexpected sounds, I thought perhaps her music would be to artsy and thereby inaccessible, but it really isn't. It's quite lovely.

11. Mein Lieber Herr - Ute Lemper
I've already spoken at length about my fondness for singing with this song in the car, so I won't say much more now. It is the I Will Survive of showtunes and equally fun to sing to.

12. Hager - Salamat
Exotic. Percussive. Fun. As with many of the songs on this CD (which I think I mentioned in part 1 of this post was picked up on a total fluke), it is a great example of why world music is so fun. It's a shame that more people don't listen to it.

13. Ghost of Stephen Foster - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Words fail to express how much I love this song. I am completely enchanted by the opening. It is genius. The whole arrangment is great. It always makes me feel good to hear those opening strains of gypsy violin, which is probably why this song has made it onto so many of my mixes.

14. Complainte de la butte - Rufus Wainwright

14. The Transformation into Marlene - Vagabond Opera

15. Cabaret - Susan Egan

16. Arab Andalusian Music/Gharnati - Ahmed Piro Ensemble with Amina Alaoui

17. Tango te Evora - Lorena McKennitt

18. Ick Hob Dikh Tsu Ful Lieb - Vagabond Opera

No comments: