Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Thing of Beauty: Women in Art

These past few Sundays, I've found myself having little desire to go to church. Just between you and me, this has been coming on for a while now. It is not that I don't enjoy the church we go to. It is open and tolerant - a really nice place. Even if I still don't feel completely comfortable proclaiming myself a Christian (spiritual polyglot that I am!), the particular community we have found there does feel like home. I just find myself needing a bit of a break. The seeker in me is needing to stretch her legs and explore - and she's wanting to explore spirituality, not religion; heart, not dogma.

So, on my first (and possibly last - it's hard to know) Spiritual Sunday, I am looking at things that touch my soul and create reverence. As I was reading an interview on Lipstick Mystic this morning, I came across a link to Linda Dodds' website, which in turn had a link to the Women in Art video. It is well worth the three minutes or so it takes to watch. The music is peaceful and lovely - the perfect complement to the images.

In Kurt Vonnegut's "A Man Without a Country", he writes that his epitaph should read: "The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." I think that these images could easily be absorbed into that sentiment. There is something sublime in the act of creation and there is a reason why we still look at centuries old artwork today - it touches the soul, it connects us to its creator, and even to the act of creation itself. And there is something beautiful and spiritual in that.

No comments: