Wednesday, December 05, 2012

The Aftermath

Today we had our big company meeting at work. My headache is gone, but my estimate that we had let go about 1/3 of our workforce was sadly correct. That is a lot of people in the past year, considering was already let go 100 back in January, some others over thes summer, and reorganized our management structure a couple months ago. The good news is that I still have my job and can continue the awesome practice of being home officed. That doesn't stop me from feeling bad for everyone else, though.

When the economy was better and we were still letting go people who weren't so well suited for their jobs, I used to always tell myself that maybe it was just time for people to move on, because there was something more appropriate out there for them. Sometimes we need a nudge to get pushed into what we really should be doing instead of being challenged by a role in which we're doomed to fail, because it doesn't highlight our talents. But now we really are (mostly) down to the good people. That what they are supposed to be doing is scrambling to come up with rent, utility and food money going forward is too depressing to contemplate.

The only thing that comforts me is that there are some who also gave their notice today, because they had found new jobs. So, while it is challenging, I guess it's still possible. Meanwhile, I can still be thankful that I have a job that I can still work from my home office, that I have an awesome boss, and that I have hope that my company, which was started and run from in a mid-western garage 50 years ago will soon again thrive.

No comments: